Thursday, September 9, 2010

My Mom’s Challah

Leshana Tova! Happy Jewish New year. I wasn’t raised in a Jewish family but I did marry into one. We aren’t observant but we want to share some of the traditions and culture with our son. So far that has meant that we read a lot of Jewish themed books, have Seder with the family and never pass up an excuse to bake a challah.

This recipe came from my mother. I remember watching with fascination as she would knead and braid these loaves. I sometimes got to punch the dough. She always made them in bulk but they never lasted more than a day. My siblings and I  barely gave them a chance to cool before we would tear into them.

233

I still make the full recipe when I make these. I usually give one loaf away and with my husband’s help, we polish of the other just as quickly as I used to. If we can make some last till morning it also makes the best French toast.

Challah Bread  makes 2 gigantic loaves

  • 2 1/4 cups of warm water
  • 2 packages of yeast (4 1/4 tsp)
  • 1 Tbs Sugar
  • 7 to 8 cups of Flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 Tbs Salt
  • 1 Stick butter melted
  • 1/2 cup Honey

In a large bowl combine the water, yeast, and sugar. Let it sit for a couple minutes until there is a foam on top of the water. Stir in 2 cups of flour and let it sit for a 1/2 hour. Stir in the eggs, butter, salt, and honey. Add the flour 1 cup at a time until  you have a soft dough. Knead it. Let it rise until doubled in size. Punch the dough and let it rest for a couple of minutes. Then make ropes and braid it. My mom always did a 3 or 4 strand braid but I like to do a six strand braid. Let it rise another half an hour and then bake it at 350 degrees for 40 – 50 minutes. Brush the top with an egg wash (1 egg with 1Tbs sugar)  to get a really beautiful shine to your crust.

Traditionally, for Rosh Hashanah your challah is supposed to be round. I forgot that on my first loaf so the second braid got reshaped in a pie pan. Last time I did a round challah I made one really long rope and coiled it up like a snail shell. Either way you will love the flavor and scent of this bread.

235  

I hope everyone has a sweet new year.

Ruth

1 comment:

  1. We wish you all a happy and healthy New Year! I wish we could share that delicious challah with you. Give Asher a kiss for us.
    Love to all.

    ReplyDelete